Only if they comply with the requirements of EU Regulation No. 305/2011 and the Harmonized Technical Standards, construction materials and products can be CE marked and placed on the market in the countries of the European Economic Area (even if produced outside the EU territory).
The objective of the regulation is to ensure the quality and safety of construction products, with particular attention to the protection of workers' health, consumers and the environment, through the compliance of construction products to the minimum requirements set and valid for all countries of the European Economic Area.
Specifically, to protect the end user, the following seven essential requirements must be respected (see Annex I of the CPR):
1. Mechanical resistance and stability;
2. Safety in case of fire;
3. Hygiene, health and environment;
4. Safety and accessibility in use;
5. Protection against noise;
6. Energy conservation and heat retention;
7. Sustainable use of natural resources